It is not the responsibility of San Antonio Firearms Training or it's Instructors to determine eligibility of students or persons seeking to obtain a Concealed Handgun License. Review eligibility requirements closely before registering as class fees are NOT refundable.
A person is eligible for a Texas CHL if the person:
- is at least 21 years of age (military 18 - 21 years of age)
- has not been convicted of a felony,
- is not currently charged with the commission of a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor, or equivalent offense, or an offense under Sec. 42.01 of the penal Code (Disorderly Conduct) or equivalent offense,
- is not a fugitive from justice for a felony, Class A or Class B misdemeanor, or equivalent offense,
- is not a chemically dependant person (a person with two convictions within the ten year period preceding the date of application for offenses (Class B or greater) involving the use of alcohol or a controlled substance is ineligible as a chemically dependant person. Other evidence of chemical dependency may also make an individual ineligible for a CHL),
- is not incapable of exercizing sound judgement with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun,
- has not, in the five years preceding the application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor, or equivalent offense, or an offense under Section 42.01 of the Penal Code (Disorderly Conduct) or equivalent offense,
- is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun,
- has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making child support administered or collected by the attorney general,
- has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, state treasurer, tax collector of a policital subdivision, Alcohol Beverage Commission or any other agency or subdivision,
- is not currently restricted under a court protective order subject to a restraining order affecting a spousal relationship,
- has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law in the grade of felony (this would include a juvenile record),
- has not made any material misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any material fact, in an application submitted pursuant to Section 411.174 or in a request for application submitted pursuant to Section 411.175.
Please direct any questions about eligibility to the DPS Website: www.txdps.state.tx.us